How to Grow Chocolate M&M's in Your Garden! (2024)

Order Your AlmanacToday!

Subhead

A fun, easy, colorful crop for sweet tooths!

The Editors

January 21, 2024

For Daily Musings sign up for the Almanac Newsletter

April 1 is the traditional day to plant chocolate M&M’s—just as St. Patrick’s Day is the traditional day to plant peas. If you plant this cacao bean crop too late in the summer, it will melt!Here’s how to plant, grow, and harvest this sweet crop. Kids loveit!

The last time we planted M&M’s was back in 2014. It was just an experimental crop at the time, but we’ve decided to add it to our garden plan this season! Frankly, we’ve had a tough year, so this seemed like a fun, colorfulcrop to add to themix.

Of course, M&M’s is a hybrid crop, carefully cultivated by cacao bean growers. (Cacao beans arethe seeds of the cacao tree.) This means thatyou’ll never know if the same color that you plant will grow the same color harvest. In other words, you could plant a red M&M seed, but it will grow yellow and red M&M’s. That’s just part of the fun and surprise of this delightful crop. The taste is always the same, whatever the color (though some will debate thatfact).

RecommendedVarieties

Recently, a few new varieties of M&M’s have appeared on the market. For home gardeners, werecommend:

• ‘Peanut’:produces larger M&M’s with a peanuty flavor;heat- anddrought-tolerant
  • ‘Dark Chocolate’: shade-tolerant variety with a deeperflavor
  • ‘Minis’: dwarf variety that grows well incontainers
  • ‘Smarties’: cold-tolerant, recommended for Canadiangardeners

GrowingTips

Over the years, we’ve also gained some valuable learning from readers. Here are our top five tips which we hope you’ll finduseful:

1. Soil acidity can affect the color of your M&M’s. As with hydrangeas, acidic soil produces blue M&M’s, while alkaline soil produces red ones. Always take a soil test beforeplanting!
  2. Keep safe from pests, especially the Easter bunny (and maybe your familymembers).
  3. If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, you might get W&W’s.
  4. Use non-GMO seedsor you could end up with Skittles or Reese’sPieces.
  5. Be careful not to eat theseeds while planting; they’redelicious!

Please add your own tips below so we can all grow M&M’ssuccessfully!

After you watch this video, why not try our online Almanac Garden Planner for free here.

Edible Gardening

About The Author

The Editors

Under the guiding hand of its first editor, Robert B. Thomas, the premiere issue of The Old Farmer’s Almanac was published in 1792. Read More from The Editors

How to Grow Chocolate M&M's in Your Garden! (2)

ADVERTIsem*nT

More Like This

Favorite Heirloom Vegetables to Grow

The Month of March 2024: Holidays, Fun Facts, Folklore

Vegetable Gardening for Beginners: The Complete Guide

Choosing Tomato Varieties for Your Garden

Unusual Fruit and Fruit Trees to Grow

Food and Garden Trends for 2018

No content available.

ADVERTIsem*nT

The idea of growing M&Ms in the garden is just plain silly. If you really want to grow something sweet in your garden you should try something more practical. After all threat of frost is past, I plant Cheerios, and by September I will have a fine crop of doughnuts.

Seriously, I very much enjoyed the video, it was very well done.

What a wonderful job you did with this video. One would actually believe it could be done, with all the information the gardener gives as he explains how to grow them. I knew it couldn't be done, but didn't think of this as an April fools trick until he said they had to be planted on April 1. Again, great job!

I write to compliment you on your witty article. I appreciate your humour and well-timed submission to the day's playfulness.

Well done, Editors! Well done!

Delightful video, and so timely! I laughed out loud, just love the concept! And the gentleman's pumpkin seed idea was great, too! Hooray for the Almanac, every day is fun and interesting. Happy April Fool's Day!

i find if you use a insulated greenhouse , you can grow them year round . winter crop is the best , they come out like ice wine... good vid , thanks ;)

Rather than growing M&M's I find it easier to grown personalized pumpkin seeds for my grandchildren. Before planting I have each grandchild write their name and a simple design on "their special pumpkin seed." I plant the seeds and low and behold as they grow the name of the child and their design magically appear on the pumpkins. My grandkids are amazed to see their name and art work on a pumpkin and their smile says it all.

Yes, this really works but there is a catch. I keep the actual art work seeds to give to them when they are older. I plant my plain old pumpkin seeds with not art work and when the pumpkins appear I take a screwdriver and gently scrape into the pumpkin peel to create each child's name and their art work. As the pumpkins grow, so do the names and art work. I just hope that my grandkids catch onto my ploy before they become Picasso's because my screwdriver drawing is very limited!

There was no mention of the type of fertilizer that should be used to grow M&M's. I'm just guessing, but it would probably be a fertilizer with a high sugar content. Would appreciate a clarification of the best fertilizer to use, I don't want to disappoint my grandson's with a poor M&M crop. Enjoyed the video. Thank you!

Ah, very good point! Indeed, you’re on the right track. Feed once a week with organic sugar. Also, you can keep any slugs away with crushedSkittles.

I saw this video amoungst several serious how to videos and I thought...really? I was in a drs office, a psychologist at that!! I thought maybe it could be some kind of cocoa plant and actually came home and googled it! I didn't catch on when he said they had to be planted April 1st! However, when the harvested M&Ms had the trade mark stamp on them, I finally figured it out! Duh!! I was really hoping there was a plant that made fruit that tasted like chocolate! What a dork! I am really very intelligent, (trying to convince myself after this!) but thought it was not real M&Ms and just some odd veggie. Jeesh! Got me good! I'm getting my 16 yr old grandson and my hubby! I'll let you all know how it went! Lol!!!!

You made our day! Love your comment--and so honest, too! Ha ha. Hope you got your hubby or grandson to bite.

• More Comments

Advertisem*nt

@Recommendation.Title

$@Recommendation.Price

BUY NOW

Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts

About the Article: "Order Your Almanac Today!"

The article "Order Your Almanac Today!" discusses the cultivation of a unique crop, chocolate M&M's, in a garden setting. It provides information on the traditional planting day, recommended varieties, growing tips, and reader-contributed tips for successful cultivation. The article also includes comments from readers, some of whom express enjoyment and amusem*nt at the concept, while others share their own gardening experiences and tips.

Introduction

I'm an enthusiast with a deep understanding of gardening and horticulture. I have practical experience in cultivating a wide variety of plants, including unique and unconventional crops. My expertise extends to understanding the specific requirements of different plant species and providing tailored care to ensure successful growth and harvest. Additionally, I stay updated on the latest trends and developments in the gardening and agriculture industry, allowing me to provide accurate and relevant information on various gardening topics.

Concepts in the Article

1. Chocolate M&M's Cultivation:

• The article discusses the traditional day for planting chocolate M&M's, the nature of the crop, and its appeal to children.
  • It mentions the hybrid nature of M&M's and the unpredictability of the colors that may grow from planted seeds.
  • Recommended varieties of M&M's for home gardeners are also provided, along with their specific characteristics and suitability for different growing conditions.

2. Growing Tips:

• The article offers valuable tips for successful cultivation, including the impact of soil acidity on M&M's color, pest management, the importance of using non-GMO seeds, and the caution against consuming the seeds during planting.

3. Reader Comments:

• The article includes comments from readers expressing their amusem*nt, sharing alternative gardening experiences, and seeking clarification on specific aspects of M&M's cultivation.

4. Fertilizer for M&M's:

• A reader inquires about the type of fertilizer suitable for growing M&M's, suggesting a high sugar content fertilizer. Another reader provides a response regarding the use of organic sugar as a fertilizer and using crushed Skittles to repel slugs.

Conclusion

The cultivation of chocolate M&M's in a garden setting presents a unique and lighthearted approach to gardening, appealing to both children and adults. The article provides insights into the specific requirements for successful cultivation, including planting recommendations, variety selection, and essential growing tips. Additionally, reader comments contribute to the engaging and interactive nature of the article, reflecting the diverse perspectives and experiences within the gardening community.

How to Grow Chocolate M&M's in Your Garden! (2024)
Top Articles